New for 2019
- Hondius operates in the Arctic for the first time
- Sea Spirit takes a new voyage from Plymouth round the west coast of England and Scotland to Edinburgh in May 2019
- Ocean Endeavour circumnavigates Ireland in June 2019
- June 2019 sees Spirit of Enderby back in the Sea of Okhotsk
- Try Akademik Sergey Vavilov June 2019 photography symposium in Spitsbergen
- Sea Spirit explores West Spitsbergen and the polar ice edge in June and July 2019
- Polar Pioneer explores Norway’s rugged coast and Bear Island en route from Aberdeen to Spitsbergen in July 2019. Bear Island is also on Ortelius agenda in August
- RCGS Resolute discovers art, wildlife and culture in South Baffin before her consecutive voyage to Greenland in July 2019
- Akademik Ioffe visits Baffin Island in July 2019
- Ocean Endeavour travels in the wake of the Vikings from Iceland to the west coast of Greenland in July 2019
- For a small ship experience in Svalbard join Polar Pioneer in July and August 2019
- Sailing ship Noorderlicht circumnavigates Spitsbergen in July/Aug 2019
- Try Sea Spirit or Hondius in East Greenland in September 2019.
The unimaginable majesty of the Arctic, a vast ice-encrusted ocean ringed by islands, casts a spell on all who visit. Many of our clients are drawn back time after time to visit different areas. We offer a variety of voyages, some geared towards active exploration with walking, kayaking or skiing, others for those who want a more leisurely pace in comfortable vessels. Whichever you choose, the memories of this dramatic wilderness will stay with you always.
Our voyages to the Arctic include Arctic Norway where several itineraries are based around Spitsbergen (Svalbard), East Greenland, Iceland, the Scottish Islands, the Russian Far East, the Canadian Arctic and the High Arctic.
The descriptions in the following itineraries are a guideline only, since the routes taken and the landings made will be dependent on ice and weather conditions. We are happy to supply you with more detailed descriptions, day-by-day itineraries and reports of similar voyages in previous years on request.
Where activities are available on certain voyages they are shown here. These are optional, for which a supplement is usually payable.
“As we slid into Hornsund, a glorious deep fjord, the reflections of the majestic snow peaks glimmered on the icy waters and the only sound was the mewing of kittiwakes and the crunching of keel against iceberg… Later we made an unforgettable shore landing and strolled among glorious purple saxifrage, orange lichen and boulder-strewn mossy turf to explore the bird cliffs, frenetic with noise. Our ship had a ghostly aura as she lay quietly in the bay, snow, blue sky and thin layers of drifting mist all around”.
Fiona’s travel tipsFOR THE ACTIVE: pick the hiking-focused voyages- you can do some great walks of 6-7 hours on selected days.
TOP TIP: Book a Scotland to Spitsbergen voyage and then the consecutive North Spitsbergen one. It’s fun to leave the UK by ship and you will get a discount off the second voyage.
MY FAVOURITE PLACE: When not tundra hiking, standing on the foredeck watching for whales.
“A brilliant holiday! Franz Josef Land must be the ultimate Arctic experience.”
Barbara Forrai and Margaret Dykes, Franz Josef Land, August 2012
“Particular thanks to Fiona for her courtesy, professionalism and help with booking flights back to Edinburgh. Pre-departure information very good. Excellent handling of last-minute changes caused by change of vessel.”
Mr and Mrs Norman Robb, Ann Rayner and Ronald Cramond, Aberdeen to Spitsbergen voyage
“A trip of a lifetime which exceeded all my expectations. Thank you for your side of the arrangements – everything went like clockwork.”
Jane Hamilton, Sail North Spitsbergen
“Deepest thanks for all your kindness and help before departure and to lovely staff on board.”
Alison Lambie, St Kilda, Jan Mayen, Spitsbergen (Plancius)
“The arrangements you made for me were very good and I recommend Arcturus to all.”Elizabeth Lonkhurst, Iceland/Greenland (Polar Star)
“We had prompt and detailed answers to queries and a feeling of personal, knowledgeable service. A fantastic experience- we had an idea of what to expect having been to Antarctica and it lived up to expectations!”
Dr. Andrew and Dr. Katharine Balkwill, High Arctic circumnavigation (Polar Pioneer)